I’m Having a Love Affair….{DIY Bench Makeover}

...with the one thing I’ve done to this house
that I actually LOVE!
My poor ole bench has gone from
drab to FAB!

Yes, I’m finally going to post about something I did for the office!
I survived yesterday after I found out that all of my pics for this
fantabulous bench did a disappearing magic trick on me….
You can read more on that here.

I needed a break! So, I went to one of the biggest malls around
 my little podunk town, about and hour away, 
where they have an Apple Store.
I dunked my iphone about a month or so ago
 and it actually worked fine except for the sound.
It was sporadic at best and I couldn’t play music through the speakers.
I thought, I’ll just have them check it out and see what can be done.
Well, surprisingly no water damage was detected.
They gave me a new phone! Can you say AWESOME!!
Well, that made my day!
No more Miss grumpy pants here!
Only wish I had done it earlier!

So now on to the reveal…..

Here we have a “orangey wood” bench dejected and doomed to the basement. 
But now in the garage for it's makeover.

An idea popped in my head earlier, that maybe with a little paint and love
and you can join the family upstairs….

The makeover begins…
A little sanding…

A coat of primer….
And Wah Lah!!
After a BAJILLION coats of white paint!
We have a beauty!
I must give my fabulous daughter credit here. 
Bless her heart,
she did most of the bajillion coats of white paint. 
She is a treasure! Thank you, Morgan!

Bench finished, but not finished.
 It needs more to be complete.
If you remember awhile back,
way back...in my Spring is in the Air post
I was considering some fabrics for curtains in the office.
Well, that never happened. 
Still thinking that one through.
But that blue fabric.... 
I loved it and everyone else that commented, loved it too!
I went in to JoAnn’s and there it was….
I can't believe was still there!!!
It was love at first sight!

Snagged 2 yards and it was on sale. 
Also purchased the foam cushion with my 50% coupon.
Score!
And made that little lovely thing in about 2 hours.
I had tons of pics for that easy peasy tutorial,
but we aren’t going to talk about that anymore.
Basically,
wrapped the fabric around the foam, made a seam here and there.

Sewed nice little envelope corners.
Added Velcro.
A side note….
It’s just stick-on Velcro and I know that white would have been a better choice,
but it’s on the bottom so no one is going to see it
and it was a steal I had gotten
at Wally World awhile back for $3 buckeroos.
It's so pretty!!
Ok, I know you are waiting for the final reveal…
Bam!
Are you in love too?
I just look at it and sigh….
Ok....let's do a before and after...
Before:

After:
Next will be pillows
and I can start work on the wall above it.
Gallery wall… Yes!

If you like it PIN it!

21 comments

  1. Such a beautiful job, Lori. I'm always super impressed by people who know how to sew, since I don't have a clue. Learning to sew is on my "I know I need to, but I will someday" list.
    Anyway, fabulous, fabulous. . . and that fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You simply amaze me girlfriend! I've got to let some of that energy rub off on me! Also want to add I love that vocab throughout your blog. You've got style and that just adds all its own. Jeasy, peasy! You're the best! Absolutely love the flower boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love it. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a transformation! I love this bench!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job fixing up this bench. I love the fabric for the cushion! Thanks so much for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bench is just beautiful. I love that fabric - I'm resisting the urge to go to Joann's looking for some of my own, now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore this bench Lori! You did an awesome job! It was great to meet you at Haven! Hope you had a wonderful time & are recovering! :p <3 Heidi Rew from Parties for Pennies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Thanks so much! Did you love Haven as much as me? It was so great meeting you as well!

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a beauty! Blue and white always look so good,and that shade fabulous. I found your post at Look What I made. That is awesome about your phone, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful transformation! I love the way the white paint brings out the inset panels, and your choice of fabric is perfect!

    Linked up after you at 504 Main's Tickled Pink!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. Lori you are super creative.. Love how you sew the envelope cover with velcro on the back! The fabric and white paint looks amazing.. Totally pin worthy. :)
    Thanks for linking up at Friday Fun Party. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hani!! Thank you for the sweet words!! I still am in LOVE with that bench.... :)

      Delete
  11. Great post. I found this through the Create and Inspire linky party. I linked in an attempt at meatballs.
    Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bench looks great! How did you sew those nice envelope corners? The cushion looks fabulous. Nice fabric. Found you on the Alderberry Hill party. Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! Thanks soooo much! The envelope corners really are easier that they look. I'll email you! Thanks for following! Blessings!

      Delete
    2. The bench looks beautiful.

      Can you please show me how to sew teh envelope corners?

      Thanks.

      Delete
  13. It is definitely a dab to fab makeover, and so love the fabric you choose. Both look so pretty together. Love your "sewing" techniques. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best! PS - following you on Facebook! Hope you'll follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful job. Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow.. you did a great job! Its FAB! ;)

    Thanks for sharing at C&I.

    Best,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why Thank you!!! I'm still in love with that bench!!

    ReplyDelete