Building An Outdoor Nativity

 Hi there! I am sooo excited to show you what Hubs and I built!

Building an outdoor nativity

Building an outdoor nativity

I know... I know... I told you I was going to take a break until the new year, but this is sooo cool, that I just couldn't wait!

Let me tell you first... This is NOT a Tutorial! But I will show how much fun we had

Building An Outdoor Nativity

Hubby and I have always wanted one of those outdoor nativities in our yard during the Christmas season. The ones that they sell are kind of expensive and really small. So, since we are DIY'ers we decided to make one ourselves!

I could NOT have done this at all with out Hubs! He is the brains of this project. He has incredible talent and math skills that I simply do NOT have the patience for.

The first thing we did was print out a copy of a nativity scene we liked. Then Hubby made a grid out of it, like you can see here. 

This is labor intensive. We started this back in October and there's only so much time Hubs has since he does work 60-65 hours per week. Which is WAY too much!
Drawing nativity pattern on to cardboard

This is a huge piece of cardboard that he is coping this grid onto, which will serve as a pattern to draw out onto a 4X8 ft. sheet of plywood.

Drawing nativity pattern on to cardboard

Then he cut it out. He did this all for me! 😍

cutting out nativity pattern

Now that the patterns are all cut out. Time to trace them and fit everything onto the sheet of 4X8 ft. plywood.

Nativity patterns complete

It was difficult trying to finagle all the pieces to fit onto ONE sheet of plywood. Hubby made it work. 😊

Tracing nativity scene onto plywood

I was involved here and there. But now I can really get into the project! Power tools!! This was sooo much fun to work on! Oops... you can see another project going on in this shot.

Cutting out the nativity scene

To cut the really tight corners and detail, we used a drill bit and a hole saw to make space for the jigsaw to turn.

Using a drill to help cut corners

You can see it a bit more clearer here.

Using a drill to help cut corners

This was all my part in the construction of the nativity scene... Painting! I used one coat of primer, sanded lightly. Then I applied two coats of exterior paint. You can see one of the roof top pieces there.

Painting the nativity scene

Here we have most of the pieces laid out, just to kind of see how this was going to fit together.

We used 1x4's for the "fence" and the supports for the "roof". I painted them the same as the nativity pieces.

Laying out the nativity scene

Where we live it can be cold, wet and snowy during this time of year. We wanted to make sure that this was quick to put up and tear down and that we could unassemble it to store easily. That's where the hinges come into play. We used regular door hinges, about 13 of them in all.

We wanted to be able to just pull pins out of the hinges and have individual pieces to carry and put away.

Some pieces had to be screwed together, but we can easily take those apart as well. We'll see how it goes this year.

Assembling the nativity scene

Here we also attached hinges to the side fence gates. 

Attaching side fences to nativity scene

I am sooo thankful for our 3 car garage! It's nice to have room to work on projects like this out of the elements. 😊

Here we set up the nativity scene to see if it was even going to work. And it does!! Yay! I love how big it is! 

setting up the nativity scene

We just carried it out to the yard and set a spot light on it. It's pretty sturdy. OMG! I love it! Next year maybe we'll add some sheep or angels.

Outdoor Nativity Scene

Awesome! Thank you, sweet Hubby, for all your hard work! 😘

Building An Outdoor Nativity

That's how we did it! Cool, right?!


Building An Outdoor Nativity

Blessings!!

18 comments

  1. This is so gorgeous. I would love to have this pattern to make one for our church. I am in charge of decorating our church and have been looking for a simple outdoor nativity scene for some time now and I can not seem to find one that I like. This is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me the height of the Mary and Joseph figures? Beautiful, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to put them out this year! I would say that they Mary is about 3 feet and Joseph is 4 ft.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness how fantastic is that.
    I live in a very small village in Boxley, Maidstone ,Kent England.
    This is something I have been trying to get a pattern for for years, our church is the hub of the village how marvellous would it be for the children & adults to see this nativity scene.
    Could I ask you to consider letting me have or purchase the pattern.

    How clever is your husband.!

    God be with you.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie! I'm so glad that you like our Nativity Scene. It really was a labor of love.... :) I'm not sure how we would be able to do that. It's a cardboard cut out that we traced onto the wood. Please email me if you have any other ideas... thestonybrookhouse@gmail.com

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I would love a template too... Would it be something that could be copied somehow with an industrial photocopier or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...this is amazing. I love it. How do you go about getting a template of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There! Oh I wish we knew how to do that. But at this point we don't have the means or know how to offer that. So sorry.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. I’m wondering if this is something that you could use a projector for? Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you tell us where you found the original picture??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gosh! I think Hubby kind of combined two pics we pulled from Pinterest....I'm going to have to hunt around and see if we saved the drawings...

      Delete
    2. There is a company that sells them (quite pricey, by the way). Farm-Marm, you could probably google it to get a picture to use as a guide.

      Delete
  8. This is exactly what I want for my yard,would you and your husband be willing to make photo copies of the grids that he used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find them! This is from a few years ago, hopefully I saved them!

      Delete
  9. It’s beautiful! Just what I’ve been wanting to do for years. Please tell me the thickness of the plywood. Is it 1/2” or 3/4”?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We used at least 5/8" plywood. We've just been putting on another coat of paint to preserve it.

      Delete