Let The Sun Shine In...

I am soooo excited to show you this!
Hubby and I just made a dramatic change to our dining area.
This is what it looked like before...
I've been feeling like the dining room area has looked a bit dreary and cave(ish).

Here's another picture that shows you a bit more of the cave like 
effect I've been feeling lately.
 Now.... it looks like this!
Can you say WOW??!!!
I am in LOVE!!
Am I using enough exclamation points?

Yes, I still have tons more to do, but I feel this is definitely a step in the right direction.

What you might not realize is that there was no support 
for the blinds under the arch window.
I really didn't want a 70"X70" blind there.
So, Hubby and I built the support.  It really wasn't that hard and it looks like it was supposed to be there.
We needed the board to be 3" wide to work.
Now, you know that you can't find 3" wide boards.
They are 2X2 or 2X4 and so forth.

We bought one 2X4X12 and had them cut it in half.  
We needed 70" for each board.  It was perfect!
Hubs cut down the 2X4's to 3".
He used the fabulous Kreg Jig...
If you've never used one they are amazing!
It will make attaching these supports to the frame so much easier and secure.

I really appreciate all my hubby does!
It was getting late, but we wanted to make sure everything fit.
Looks good!
The next day, I worked with the wood filler and sanded and primed the boards.
Just a bit of caulk along the edges and we are ready for paint!
Well, that was going to happen the next day, 
but I caught some bug and it wiped me out! 
Fever and chills for 2 days! 
Good news is I feel great today!

I painted the the supports and Hubs finished putting up the blinds.
I am smiling!

A few details on the blinds. 
Hubby and I looked at what Lowes and Home Depot had.  
We picked the ones at Home Depot.  
There were 2 1/2" blinds instead of 2". 
But the clincher was 2 things...
The price was about $10 cheaper than Lowes, but the number one thing?
This little guy...
Child Safety Breakaway Cord.
When any pressure is place on it, it does this.
I just think it looks so much better than this.
This was a sample at Lowes. I do not like all those cords dangling together, plus they usually get all tangled up.
I also like the cords that move the blinds instead of that twisty pole.

Doesn't this look so much better??
The cords are hardly noticeable.
How about another quick before and after?
Before:
After:
Ahhh... Fresh, light, airy! 
I am ready to get to work on all of this!
Soon... very soon!  :)

Blessings,
 photo New Lori 100_zps2lw4mgnc.jpg

2 comments

  1. cool! Can't wait to see what else is in store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I can't wait either! I'm almost giddy, knowing by the end of the month I'll be able to actually start something in this house!! :D

      Delete