My Fashion Over 40 ~ What Is Fasting?

My Fashion Over 40We almost didn't have church service again this week. Yep, you guessed it.... snow. Again. I know, shocking, right? Hey... I live on the northern east coast, and guess what? This is winter!

But we were determined to go to church! You can see the snow already building up on our patio behind me.

How has the weather been where you live? It has been a couple of pretty crazy weeks here! So much snow and cold... brrr....

It actually wasn't that bad out on the roads. We made it, had a great service and drove home just fine. :)

I was feeling a bit of the winter blahs last week and picked up this scarf.  Isn't it cheerful? So my outfit is a bit of winter and a bit of spring.

The sweaters are old staples, that I wear quite a bit and so are the jeans. I could seriously live in jeans. I don't know why...but I wear them practically everyday and I don't get tired of them. In fact... I want more!

The boots I picked up this winter season and they are so comfortable.

We're heading to California soon to visit family and I can tell you I am going to enjoy every sunny and 75 day there!


For the next couple of Sundays, our pastor is going to go over and explain fasting.  Have you ever fasted?  I have to admit that I've been a Christ follower for over 20 years and I can't actually remember a time that I fasted. I'm not too proud of that fact.  I really don't know why I haven't.

So, I am very interested to learn more on fasting.

What is the definition of Christian fasting?

Christian Fasting is a non required discipline that alters or changes your diet or eliminates food and/or drink accompanied with prayer.

This is a very basic and simple definition. Fasting is a physical discipline and our pastor recommended that before you would attempt one, you should consult with your doctor.  Not everyone should or can fast for possible medical reasons.

Fasting should really not be a legalistic ritual.  There are no set "rules" to follow. The length can vary, what is actually fasted can also vary.

Why would someone want to fast?

Fasting can do several things for a follower of Christ.  It can increase your faith, help you to overcome barriers in your life. It can also help you to accomplish great things in the lives of others. Fasting can help you submit to Christ wholly and strengthen you spiritually. We can become more attentive to the Holy Spirit. There are a lot of benefits to fasting.

Here are a couple of scriptures about fasting.

Joel 2:12 (NLT)
That is why the Lord says, "Turn to me now, while there is time. Give me your hearts. Come with fasting, weeping and mourning.

Matthew 9:15 (NLT)
Jesus replied, "Do wedding guests mourn while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast.

Our pastor went on to share about 9 different kinds of fasts.

1. Disciples Fast - Deliverance from addictions and holds of sin (Reference Matthew 17:21 NKJV)
2. Ezra Fast -  To undo heavy burdens and solve hard problems. (Ref. Ezra 8:23)
3. Samuel Fast -  For revival and soul winning. (Ref. 1 Samuel 7:6)
4. Elijah Fast - To conquer mental and emotional bondage (Ref. 1 Kings19:4,8)
5. Widow Fast - ( I missed this information.) (Ref. 1 Kings 17:16)
6. St. Paul Fast - To have a clearer perspective and insight on important decisions (Ref. Acts 9:9)
7. Daniel Fast - To have a healthier life and healing (Ref. Daniel 1:8)
8. John the Baptist Fast - For our testimonies and lives to influence others for Jesus (Ref. Luke 1:15)
9. The Esther Fast - To protect us from the evil one. (Ref. Esther 4:16)

There is so much more to learn about the different fasts and the different types of fasts.  I will be sharing more. Next week, we will be away, so I'll be requesting a cd of the service!

Blessings to you!
 photo New Lori 100_zps2lw4mgnc.jpg

No comments

Post a Comment