DIY Sliding Coffee Tray

I questioning whether I'm a bit ADHD lately! 
I feel like I have about 100 projects going and none of them are even close to be finished.  Ugh! Well, not a 100 probably more like 10, 
but I'm feeling like I'm all over the place. 
Things will settle down and I will be able to focus and get these projects finished!  I will!
BUT for now.....
I had to do this project truly out of necessity!
I just couldn't take it anymore.  
You know when something is driving you nuts and you get to the point
 where you just HAVE to do something about it.

Well, that's what happened to me....

If you know me even just a little bit, you will know that I LOVE coffee. 
   I bought this awesome coffee pot a couple of years ago.  It's one of those metal thermal pots.  Which is perfect because we have broken so many coffee pots and this one is unbreakable!  
  I really love my coffee pot, so that's not whats bugging me. 
  
This is the problem....

 When we built our house we picked out these beautiful granite counter tops.  
And when you make coffee, you have to pull out the coffee pot in order to put the water in, right? 
Well, when I pull or push mine back and forth it jumps and spits and tips and makes a huge mess, because the little rubber pads on the bottom GRIP the counter like suction cups! 
I mean really.... 
Have you ever had a coffee pot run away or slip off the counter?!! I haven't.
So, I have to actually pick up the whole thing and set it back and forth.  
This is NOW getting old... 

I've been doing this for 2 years and I just had enough! 
Why did it take me so long to think of a solution? 
I don't care, but I have one today!!

I made a coffee tray! This is perfect! It works amazing!

All I did was transform a picture frame into a coffee tray.
I found this cool looking frame in the basement. (FREE!)
I painted it my fav.... Heirloom white. 
Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the frame before... 
Oh, well.

Then, I got my Martha stencils out again, and the green paint I used on my Easter sign.  

I stenciled some more of my old sheet that I used in the DIY Disaster
I love using stuff I already have!

  I needed feet on the bottom of the frame, so it would S L I D E..... 
That's the whole reason of this project!!
I went to hubby's workbench and rummaged around and found those feety things that go on the bottom of chairs to make them slide on carpet.  
Perf! I hammered those in the corners.

Next, I needed to clean the glass. 

And... I just received some Fish Foam Glass cleaner.  


I thought I'd try it on that filthiness.
   Well? It worked beautifully! 
 I'll be working on a give away soon. (Yay!)

It was important that I seal the glass in the frame.  Just in case I spill,

 or God forbid the coffee pot overflows.  
So, I put a bead of silicone in the frame and dropped the glass in place.

Then I wrapped
the stenciled fabric around a piece of cardboard and taped  it up. 

I like the fact that I can change out the fabric if I get tired of it.
Next I just plopped it in the frame.  
I tried and tried to bend those frame staples to hold it all in. 

 Well, those flimsy things that are NOT looking real secure.  
Back to hubby's workbench.... 
 Looking for something to secure it better..... Hmmm.
I found washers and some baby screws. Perf! Again!

 
That glass isn't moving anywhere. 

Flip it over and Wa La!
 A beautiful coffee tray!
Check it out!
I am soooo LOVING it! 
It SLIDES sooo smoothly! 
Now, I'm looking for a small vintage looking drawer pull to finish it off!
 I am a happy camper!
Blessings!!
 photo New Lori 100_zps2lw4mgnc.jpg

55 comments

  1. This is a pretty genius idea! And the white looks gorgeous against your countertop. hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely a nice touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job, Lori! The tray is functional and fun! Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I am so happy it turned out exactly like I wanted!! Yay!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Lori, I absolutely love it! I am going to do something just like it! You definitely have "the eye!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I so appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete
  5. Once again you hit on a repeated routine for alot of people, my husband for one goes through that in the am. (I'm not the coffee drinker). Lovely idea. You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thank you!! I appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete
  6. This is such a clever idea!

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has made making coffee so much easier!!

      Delete
  7. A perfect solution and just what I need. I had the same exact problem and it's even worse when hubby makes the coffee. This is my weekend project. Good tip about the silicone seal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! It has worked so wonderfully! Thanks for your sweet comment and for stopping by!!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea! I might have to steal this project from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Steal away! It works sooo great!! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  9. What a fabulous idea!! Love the stenciled look too! I would LOVE to have you share this at my link party and even enter the giveaway! I am your newest GFC follower! :)

    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/05/homemade-by-you-11-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Thank you for inviting me to your link party! I linked it up! Thanks for following and for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! Coffee making is so much easier now!

      Delete
  11. Your coffee tray looks amazing! I know exactly how you feel! 10 projects feels like 100 to me as well. :)

    Thanks for sharing your tutorial with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela! Ugh! Only a fellow blogger would understand so well!! Thanks so much for your sweet comment!!

      Delete
  12. This is truly wonderful. I've been working with old frames and I think I just found a new thing to do with them. Thanks!! Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I'm so glad to share this. Hoping it makes your life easier too!

      Delete
  13. Oh, I love it! I was thinking that I need to have a tray in my coffee area... perfect solution! Thanks for the inspiration!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I sooo love my coffee tray! I've gotten several wonderful comments from my friends. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful tray, really creative and I love the white against the darker counter, fabulous! I am a new reader, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It has made my life so much easier!!

      Delete
  15. Your coffee tray turned out beautiful! This is EXACTLY what I need to make for my coffee pot. Isn't it amazing when you put something on a tray how much better it looks??? Thanks so much for sharing this at Project Queen's Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mandy!! It really does look better and functions WAY better!

      Delete
  16. I LOVE this!!! and it looks so cute! Another fabulous project from you! I want one of these!

    Thanks for sharing
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate!! Thank you so much! It's always my pleasure to share!

      Delete
  17. You've been featured this week at Bringing Beauty! Come grab a button!
    Xoxo - Four Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tray, Lori!!!
    Just came over from Bringing Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love this! so smart and cute, a real inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! Its so cute!! Thanks for sharing and for linking up at Well Crafted Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! I love a great party!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

      Delete
  21. Such a nice idea! I love the color and the design you have used. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hani! I'm having so much fun crafting!! Thanks for reading and for having a great party!

      Delete
  22. WOW! What a beautiful solution to a frustrating problem! I am going to be making one for my coffee pot! Great idea! I am your newest follower! Have a great day!
    - Hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope! Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner. I've been at Haven! Wow, what an experience! This project has made my mornings so much easier.. I don't dread making coffee now! Thank you for your sweet comment!!

      Delete
  23. This is great!! Beautiful and functional. I especially like that you used fabric (your old sheet) versus paper for the interior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelby! Thank you so much! I like to upcycle!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  24. this is such a clever idea-it'd be a good spoon rest while cooking too! (my boyfriend always just leaves it on the counter...)

    i'd love for you to post at Get Your Craft On at the Gilded hare:
    http://thegildedhare.blogspot.com/2012/06/get-your-craft-on-2.html

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I stopped by your blog... adorable!! Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  25. Hi Barbara! I'm so glad you stopped by! This has made my life so much easier!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful and simple solution! My coffee has never slid off the counter either!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks great, I also love how you added the silicone to catch any spills. That is very imprtant when I am on my 1st cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That is so true, Christine! Or when I've not set the coffee up correctly and it brews all over the tray and counter... :P Not fun...

      Delete